Toronto Psychiatry Services in the Heart of North York
Our Approach To Psychiatry
Our Mental Health Nurse Practitioner assesses adults ages 18-60 for mood and anxiety disorders, and other coexisting conditions that may be occurring. Consultations are done in our office or through a secure virtual platform. A referral is not required to see our Mental Health Nurse Practitioner.
Each assessment includes:
- The completion of standardized Rating Scales and questionnaires. These are completed prior to your Assessment. They allow you to thoroughly document the nature of your symptoms, challenges as well as strengths. Using a standardized questionnaire provides important, statistically relevant information, which is used to help with diagnosis, and also to guide our Nurse Practitioner for the clinical interview. This helps you to have more confidence in the accuracy of your diagnosis.
- A thorough clinical interview lasting a minimum of 60-75 minutes will take place. You will have time to explain concerns, symptoms, challenges, and discuss opportunities.
- The Nurse Practitioner will determine if medication is appropriate for you, and if yes, will provide you with a prescription.
- If required, as with more complex cases, the Nurse Practitioner will complete a referral to our Consulting Psychiatrist. A virtual appointment over a secure video platform will be scheduled for the client and Nurse Practitioner to attend. Clients must have a valid OHIP card to receive this service.
- The Psychiatrist will review all the standardized rating scales and assessment findings reported by the Nurse Practitioner. She will complete the virtual consultation and interpret the information gathered. She will formulate a report which summarizes all of the elements of the assessment, the diagnoses and recommendations for treatment. This report will also include a list of resources that may be helpful for you to access to improve your condition. A copy of this report will be provided to the Nurse Practitioner for treatment implementation.
**We understand that many patients want to be able to work with our Psychiatrist for ongoing follow up – unfortunately we are unable to provide that at this time due to the current high patient load. If you require ongoing follow-up our Mental Health Nurse Practitioner can offer this.**
We do not provide capacity assessments, CAS parental capacity assessments, forensic assessments or ODSP disability determining assessments.
**If you are suicidal, do not feel safe, or have a plan/thoughts to hurt others, please proceed to your nearest Emergency Department. If you are in Toronto, The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health has 24hr Psychiatric Emergency service located HERE.**
Ready to get started?
Nurse Practitioners are not covered by OHIP and thus the fee for the initial assessment is $300.00.
If medication management is required, regular appointments will be booked and the cost is $100.00 for a 30 minute session and $200 for a 1 hour session.
If deemed necessary for a Psychiatrist to be consulted, OHIP will cover the appointment, however the client will still be required to pay for the Nurse Practitioner to be present in the appointment.
No show and late fees for Psychiatrist appointments are not covered by OHIP and will be charged directly to the client. No show fees will be charged if there isn’t 48 hours cancellation notice. Consultation NO SHOW Fee is $400.00.
Please note that the Dynamic Health Collaborative has other services, including psychotherapy, Naturopathic Medicine, Holistic Nutrition and Chiropractic Services. You do not need a referral to access these services.
Please contact our office if you have any questions about our consultations or services.