Anxiety and stress are both pervasive symptoms that everyone suffers with.
It’s important, however, to differentiate between anxiety symptoms and an anxiety disorder.
Stress and anxiety symptoms include:
- increased heart rate
- increased breathing rate
- muscle tension
- dilated pupils
- stomach upset
There are different types of anxiety disorders including; generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, agoraphobia, post traumatic stress disorder, social anxiety, illness anxiety and phobias.
Hallmark symptoms of an anxiety disorder include all of the above plus;
- feelings of danger, panic, or dread
- increased or heavy sweating
- trembling or muscle twitching
- weakness and lethargy
- difficulty focusing or thinking clearly about anything other than the thing you’re worried about
- gas, constipation or diarrhea
- a strong desire to avoid the things that trigger your anxiety
When someone has an anxiety disorder the symptoms:
- last for at least several weeks
- disrupt one’s work or relationships
Treatments for anxiety disorders can include medication and psychotherapy, however, psychotherapy can be helpful even for those experiencing anxiety and stress moments.
The most evidence based psychotherapy treatments for anxiety include:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Prolonged Exposure Therapy
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction
- Breath Work
Book your free 15 minute consultation with our Integrative Registered Nurse today to learn which team members are right for you!